What is Botox?
Botox comes from a kind of bacteria. The bacteria can make you very sick. But doctors have found a chemical in Botox can also help teat some health problems. They have been using it safetly for many years.
How Was this Found?
Food Drug Administration (FDA) approved Botox to treat problems with the eye muscle. Doctors noticed that some wrinkles around the eyes looked better, too.
How Does Botox work?
Wrinkles may be caused when a muscle tightens. Botox is injected through the skin into the muscle. The botox keeps the muscle from tightening. When the muscle can't tighten, the wrinkle doesn't show as much.
What! You can't move your muscles?
A doctor trainted in the use of botox will inject small amounts of Botox into the muscle. Only the treated muscle can't move.
What happens over time?
Botox works for about four months. As the muscle returns to normal, you will see the wrinkle again.
Are there any side effects?
Side effects may include: droopy eyelids, which can last for a few weeks; feeling like you have the flu; headaches and upset stomach, risk of botulism (a life or death illness that makes it hard for a person to move the arms and legs or to breathe) is low with Botox, if used the right away
(this will make me runaway from Botox!)
Remember Botox is a drug, not a cosmetic!
What Should i do if i want to try Botox?
- Ask about how Botox could help or hurt you.
- Make sure your doctor id trained in the use of Botox
- Make sure you get treatment in a dcotor's office or clinic
- Botox parties are not safe. Never share a tube of Botox.
- Emergency equipment should be on hand in case of a problem
- Do not use if you are pregnant or think you might be pregnant
- Do not use if you are breast feeding.
- Tell your doctors if you are taking antibiotics
- Tell your doctor if you have any problmes with nerves or muscles
What else should i know about Botox?
Botox is only approved to treat wrinkles between the eyebrows
Botox is only approved for people 18-65 years old. It has not been tested in other age groups.
Confess ladies and help someone else: Have you ever thought about trying Botox?
Have you ever had Botox? Was it effective?
(All the information comes from Food and Drug Administration (FDA)