Monday, July 25, 2011

Be Inspired Monday: "... Enjoy your life and travel the world."

There was a time in my life that I wanted to have a boyfriend just like my friends. I didn't tell anyone, but when one guy started to pursue me, my elder brother took me aside and said "Don't rush into a relationship. Enjoy your life and travel the world." After those thoughtful words I still wanted to have a boyfriend. But the guy who was on my case was not the one I wanted, my heart was not there for him. Plus, I really thought I was too young. The thing that appealed to me was traveling the world.


That year, 1999, in the winter I left Italy for the USA for the first time. I bought my first ticket and instead of landing in New York I booked the flight for Newark, it was cheaper and, in my mind, it was so close to NY. When I got there it was expensive to take a bus from the airport to NY. I had to wait at the airport for hours, without money! But finally my mum managed to contact her friend who I've never met to come and get me. It was a great adventure because I met this wonderful woman.


One day, at her house her five year-old girl told her three-year old brother: "Sorry is a beautiful word to say." Those words from the little girl were so inspiring, because as a proud person I tend never to go back on my decision or say sorry easily. But I learnt from that little girl that winter!

The following year, around the same time, I went to Britain - London to be exact. I saw one of the actresses in Love Actually, a true British sweetheart. What an experience! I was also brave for the first time to ask random people to take pictures of me because I went sightseeing by myself while my auntie and uncle were at work.


After all these experiences I felt a bit wiser than some of my friends.  If on one hand they were matured due to their love relationships, I was matured due to my knowledge of having seen the world.  And possibly i was wiser to know which boy was right to be my boyfriend!

All this rant just to say that, if you are in a stage of your life in which you feel like you haven't achieved what most of your friends are achieving, don't fret. Your time will come, but in the meantime listen to my wise brother: "Don't rush...Enjoy your life and travel the world!"


Confess ladies, where is the most fun place you have traveled?
And what did you learn about yourself in the process?



7 comments:

Faith said...

I think the place I enjoyed the most was going to Ghana with my family. I just loved seeing where my parents were from. Where they grew up. I loved to see the tree my dad climbed to take fruits, I loved meeting my grandmother and my extended family. I can't wait to go again with my future children and hubby. We better start saving now!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

Mmmhm...my bff and i went to london and Bacelona one winter and that was the most fun trip i can think of. we partied all night and slept most of the day only to get up at 3pm for a sangria. during that trip i realized how fortunate my life was that i was able to have such a fantastic and fun experience!

Things Sent My Way said...

One summer, my husband (then boyfriend) and I traveled cross country in a car, and we learned that hours, and hours, and hours together were really great!


Following from Totally Tuesday, come stop by Thing Sent My Way!

Michelle @ Things Sent My Way

Kylie Ofiu said...

My husband and I went to the USA about 6 months after we were married. I had always dreamed of going and we went to so many places that had been on my bucket list for years. It was the best time ever and we hope to do it again once our daughters are a little older.

I especially loved Hawaii as that is where my husband was born and we got to see family.

New follower from Welcome Wednesday

Lynn said...

Stopping by from the Wonder Wednesday blog hop :)

I think the most fun place has been Walt Disney World - it's always a different experience each visit.

Denise said...

I like to travel. I've been fortunate to do so before I had children. I think my favorite place was Bermuda. The beaches were just beautiful. They are really pink! It's very expensive but I was glad to travel on the company. New follower from Wonder Wednesday hop. I hope each of you will take a moment to stop by my blog and check out my kind of fashion (hair jewelry). I'm not just trying to gain followers with hopping, I'm trying to spread the word about a product I love. Here's my url http://talesfrommyjournal.blogspot.com I have listed a facebook page on the hop too which is www.facebook.com/DeniseMartin.LillaRose I hope you can stop by there as well. It's the fastest way to hear about specials.

Theodora Ofosuhima said...

WOW, climbing trees is what I would like Berry to experience in Ghana. I loved doing that when I was young.